This is my Mum’s recipe for super-healthy brownies. They contain no added salt, oil or sugar.
You may have seen an increasing number of people talking about the health benefits of following a whole food, plant-based diet that is SOS-Free. This means that the diet cuts out all added refined Salt, Oil and Sugar. While you may think that the idea of a black-bean brownie is really bizarre, these really are the business! They are chewy, with a slightly crisp top, and are utterly delicious.
I have to say that when my Mum told me she’d made brownies from black beans – I thought that she’d lost the plot – just goes to show that Mums always know best!
Do feel free to get really creative with your brownies – pecans have been added here, but experiment with raspberries, walnuts and more. If you do make this recipe, please send me a picture!
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 30 Minutes
- 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed well)
- 10 medjool dates, pitted (you can also use 1/4 cup organic coconut sugar if you don’t have the dates to hand)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (I prefer to use raw cacao powder, if I have it to hand)
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract (more or less depending upon your taste – and the strength of your vanilla)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp organic baking powder
- 1 flax egg (This is such a handy egg replacer. All you do is mix 1 tbsp ground flax with 3 tbsp water, let it thicken for a few minutes and you are good to go!)
- Preheat your oven to 175C / 350F / gas mark 4. Make the flax egg replacer by combining 1 tbsp ground flax with 3 tbsp water, mix and set aside.
- Next take your drained beans, dates, cocoa powder/raw cacao, vanilla extract and water and blend until smooth. If you are having trouble blending, add in 1-2 tbsp more water until it is smooth.
- Next add in your flax egg and baking powder and blend again. Pour batter into a non-stick brownie pan (you can use a muffin pan as well) and bake for 20 minutes. Check at 20 minutes to see if the top is brown and slightly firm. If it is still very soft, continue baking 5 more minutes or until done.
- Take brownies out of the oven and let rest for 20 minutes. Then cut, serve and praise my clever Mum’s black-bean, brownie baking brilliance!